Reactionary clothing: "The Cowboys t-shirt"



It is probably wise and prudent not to join in the discussion, that yes, will become more of a trivial sticking point than anything significantly useful in the issue of sexual equality within the field of science (the basis of the discussion), of a scientist wearing a shirt (made by his friend) that was deemed as inappropriate.  It is antagonism merging with triviality to fuse onto the void of pointlessness.  But, t-shirts as a legacy of shock value (sexual) more so what the punk moment gave us in the late 1970s, hold a certain message against a conservative society.  The one t-shirt that had that appeal, to buck against the norm, was none other than the infamous "Cowboys t-shirt."


From  "Roots of The Cowboys t-shirt" please refer to the Paul Gorman blog

Excerpt below:

"...Now I believe I have uncovered at least some of the roots of this striking act of collage, buried deep in fetish literature, radical philosophy and Swinging London imagery.

A year or so before his death, McLaren told me: “I can never remember where this image came from. I didn’t draw it, but added the word ‘dance’ in the background and the little caption which talked about the frustration and boredom I felt at the time.”
Some have posited that the cowboys came from a Tom Of Finland illustration, yet they are not the artist’s style, as McLaren confirmed: “No they weren’t his. I didn’t even know of the existence of Tom Of Finland at that time. I don’t think anybody really did unless you were deeply in gay culture.”

Comments