Thomas Demand

(Taken recently at an exhibition in Melbourne, Australia)

A perfect conceptual take on modernism, staging and setting up photos in studio's of various subjects.  For me, when I look at Demand's work - I see a prefabricated view of reality, he creates a 3D model (scaled from various measurements) to look like reality.  With it's toy like feel, a movie or production setting overlapped with a cleanliness to his images, apart from the scaled toy viewpoint - there is a dreamlike setting, a real and unreal world.  A paradoxical interpretation of our reality.

My work is a flip-side to Demand's work, where I take our reality and make it model like, unreal, dreamlike.  I use the setting that is here, current, no models or creations to emulate this reality.  Just reality that emulates the model.  Break it down, make it look pliable, brittle, prefabricated.

Comments