Reading: "Sybil of Doom" from RITUALS OF THE ANTITHETICAL (A.Glass 2023)

 





I see…” Elkman replies, contemplating on the transcript of Essy Zabel and the court appointed psychologist. “...and you didn’t feel Schizotypal could be an element here?” He asks.
I did, but she showed no hallmarks of paranoia or erratic speech pattern. Rather she was precise, methodical and balanced in her responses. And while she did not subscribe to any fixed religious or spiritual template…” Looking briefly around Elkman’s office at some of the Hindu and Buddhist ornaments. “...She, with what was disclosed in our appointments and the transcript I just read, had created or at least fused Eastern esoteric beliefs, such as magic more specifically a type of Black Magic practice.
You see Amelia the objects in this room, I know you are aware. I have traveled to India and Tibet several times, including China and Japan, but, I would never see a client in here. For the reasons and depending on that person’s particular mental syndrome, it would most certainly have an affect on the therapy as you would be aware. I had a client several years ago, female, late thirties, never married, single. Worked in the finance industry, began to develop a depression with psychosis, she was bipolar. The Schizotypal developed after she came back from a trip to India, it further developed, in an unhealthy way, with the psychosis. She was a drug user, cocaine and amphetamines. The issue was and remains as a danger to herself, she was suicidal despite the claim she had magical powers. Was there at any point your client could have incorporated those obscure spiritual beliefs with the sessions you had with her? And did you check if drug use could have impacted her state of mind?”
My office is very formal as for the psychologist, I wouldn’t know as I never personally met her, only as the referral. Our dialogue was over the phone and with emails. But, I feel that her beliefs were not just conjured up or influenced through the therapy. Yes, she was a user of alcohol and psychedelic mushrooms. Both, according to the client were taken only in a ritualized manner, not together and not regularly. Personally, I do not feel that drug use has created any psychosis here. I know what you are implying is that some clients, particularly manipulative ones can create a role. Is that what you mean?”
Yes, it is entirely possible for someone who is feigning elements of delusive psychological issues, for whatever reasons, more so in a therapy session as a way of controlling it. And this can occur over a Six month period, I say this, as you did assess your client with an Antisocial Personality Disorder.
Saunder smiles. “And that is why I am here speaking to you. I needed to clear up some of the dilemmas I had with this file. However, I do feel that spiritual elements were sincere, I mean there are…” She looks down at the file resting on her knees. “...pages of dialogue, she seemed very knowledgeable, particularly on why she has these rituals with alcohol and even sex, which was also brought up. But, yes you raised a very interesting point, we detected, as I mentioned, manipulation. I have to read you this, an email that I received from the psychologist after their last session. It was also their final brief.

___

Reading:  "Sybil of Doom"  from RITUALS OF THE ANTITHETICAL (A.Glass 2023)  

Comments