Excerpt: "Machines of the Occultus" from the novel THE GRAFT OF SHADOWS (A.Glass 2019)

 




“...even with the survival instinct honed, she is essentially dissolving her past without contemplating a future.” 
“Are you referring to her school grades?” 
“That and also what the social worker has advised, in relation to Kyla unable to socialize at school,”  Doctor Symon replies.
 “My insurance will only cover these sessions anything after...I can't afford it,”   Kyla's father says. 
“I understand, but...you may like to consider a clinical psychologist.  I have a name of child psychologist in Jersey City.  She is very qualified and also negotiates fee payments via my referral.” Keith Lillias stands as does Doctor Symon, he holds out his hand in which the psychiatrist reciprocates shaking Kyla's father's hand. “Well, let me know.  I am always here,” he says, as Keith Lillias nods in a polite manner without saying anything, as the psychiatrist walks around his desk opening the door.  Sitting in the waiting area is Kyla who smiles at her father as he walks towards her holding out his right hand, she stands and grasps his hand..."

___

THE GRAFT OF SHADOWS (A.Glass 2019)

Comments