CHIASMUS MAGAZINE BLOG. 2023 A YEAR IN REVIEW. Artificial Intelligence. The hype that needs to be 'wind up' by a human being. "AI" art has potential, as it inadvertently creates surreal trippy images. That's cool, I think.

The birth of Artificial Intelligence.  All hype?  All strange substance?  I can't say I was overly impressed with the artificial intelligence 'breakthrough' in 2023.   I did test AI throughout the year, mostly the Chat programs and if I were to look at it cynically, there was, although not intentional, a kind of arrogance and overconfidence with its dialogue.  And when you correct it, it apologizes and carries on in a slightly irritating, yet innocent way.   Tedious to say the least and almost astounding that, apparently, full novels have been written by AI, aware that it tends to repeat words and sentences and mixes them all up.  But, maybe that's the gist, in its surreality, that it 100% needs human guidance.  So, it is not really AI at this point in time.  But, the AI art programs were a blast!  That I did have fun with.  I created a fictional proto-rock band from the 1970's called 'Beleths Sky Cult' and word prompted the AI art program to go to work.  It took Hundreds of word prompts to get what I wanted.  I co-created an LP, EPs, promo posters.  Yet, I had to add on my own (no AI), the titles and fonts for the band name and songs.  I just didn't trust AI to get it right.  The June 2023 image below is almost perfectly what I wanted for Beleths Sky Cult EP, "She Came".

___

AI IMAGE TEST (UPDATE 4): BELETHS SKY CULT - "SHE CAME" EP FROM THEIR ALBUM 'THIRD EYES AND RUBY CRYSTAL' (1971).

 


absolutely adore this AI print, but it took 80 images and over 20 word prompts to achieve the outcome that I wanted.   And did so called artificial intelligence know what I wanted?  Nope.  Like a random number generator to what may seem like a nice combination of numbers, like three primes and two composites.   The image created is within the eye of the beholder.  Hence what has appeared above.  Even the color tone and saturation is spot on.  Yet, as mentioned, the pushing of AI to achieve this is a process, that by all definition, could have been created by a human being with artistic skills.  Regardless, I see degrees of merit in the AI art programs.  At least as a reinforcement of its surreality.

So, I present the 2nd single from the doom rock/proto band 'Beleths Sky Cult' debut album, "Third Eyes and Ruby Crystal" (1971) titled:  SHE CAME.

Enjoy.

(All concepts.  A.Glass 2023)

Comments