Reading: "The Universe, Sex and its attribution of Parallel Worlds" from THE PRAXIS CONTINUUM (A.Glass 2018)







Four weeks ago.



"Thank you for attending this appointment Jess," A man says, wearing spectacles, bald with a beard.

Alexia sits down opposite Caleb Vinhein, a senior clinical psychologist who is also her assigned supervisor.

Alexia looks at her colleague, folding her legs over. She exhales.

"I don't have a problem with it..."

The man nods, as she looks at Alexia.

"Hypersexuality?"

"...I don't believe it is..." She replies.

"When sex becomes excessive, from what we have discussed. It is your concern that it may become a consuming factor for you."

"...I think about compulsive behavior a lot, as you know. My clients, when they see me, some have obsessive behaviors. One particular client, a male, has been picking his ears. Scratching them internally, until they become infected. We traced back the psychosomatic behavior to nervous traits developed over a decade ago."

"Yes, but risks remain in all compulsive habits. Even sex." Vinhein replies.

"I understand that, but sex, compared to physically damaging compulsions. Like scratching or cutting oneself. I simply cannot see the comparison."

"Unprotected sex though?"

Alexia leans back into her chair. "Difficult, when your arousal is heightened. Undoubtedly there is a risk. I do not deny that, but measured against habits of self harm. I am finding it hard to correlating against negative compulsions."

Vinhein writes down on his notepad, as he then looks at Alexia.

"The issue may not be immediate physical harm, but possible harm over time. As a characteristic issue"

"In reference to future expectations..."

"What do you mean?"

"...Of female behavior."

"This is not what I'm saying, the risks maybe become clearer in time. So, in that sense it is the behavior or expectations of women in society. Which on a general scale. It may hinder."

"I know what you are referring to," Alexia replies, understanding what her senior colleague is alluding too.

"It is not a moral issue, you know this, but there are problems associated with frequent sexual activity. Which of course the immediate issues would remain as a physical problem, despite sex and it's association with pleasure. There are sexually transmitted diseases, an unwanted pregnancy. But, more specifically I am referring to intimacy without it's discreetness. Despite, what we know and think is an open society out there. People still hold their prejudices. "

"I am very professorial in my job, if that is what you are referring too and I value the people that see me."

"That is right, you are a very astute and a good psychologist Jess. But, it is prudent to be careful."

"I do understand what you mean. People are strange...And they do hold prejudices," Alexia replies with a smile, as Vinhein chuckles.

"All the more reason to be mindful of a disposition...I have a colleague, she is very skilled in breathing and meditation techniques. Would you be interested in seeing her?"

Alexia gets up, as does Vinhein.

"Yes," she replies.

"I'll send the referral out in few days."

"Thanks for seeing me Caleb."

"Anytime Jess, please take care"

Alexia smiles walking towards the door of the therapist's room.


___



Reading: "The Universe, Sex and its attribution of Parallel Worlds" from THE PRAXIS CONTINUUM (A.Glass 2018)




Comments