Reading: "Rituals of the Antithetical" from the novel Rituals of the Antithetical (A.Glass 2023). *I will be doing a reading every 3 weeks from my current book 'Rituals of the Antithetical'. I have a new book due at some point in the future.*

 






___


Diarmid quickly stands. “This is, as I said not only extremely unprofessional, but very petty, that after Six months of working at this firm. To have this internal investigation of my original application. And I don’t know what you are trying to achieve with this, and why you are accusing me of misleading information. I’m going to complain.”
“You can complain if you like Aria, all I am asking is clarification. That’s all,” Abigail replies, as she remains sitting.
“I know why you are doing this. The economy is shot and you are looking to lay off workers at this firm.” Diarmid studies the woman opposite her, narrowing her eyes, noticing the small faded finger tattoos on her right and left index fingers.
Closing the file, Abigail looks up at Diarmid. “If you say so.”
“Whatever, I can’t be bothered with this.” Diarmid quickly leaves the woman’s office.
Returning back to her own office, she gathers up all her personal items, lifting her tote bag. Quickly making her way to the foyer, in a hurried and determined manner she exits the firm walking towards the elevators. The lift doors open, she steps into the elevator, tapping with her left index finger the ground floor button. The lift descends.


“Did you ever meet her before the incident today?” D’adri asks, sitting back in a blush dark gray modernist style chair, opposite him is Diarmid, also sitting in a similar designed chair.
“Once, when she first started. About a month after I was hired. Very brief. Just an introduction.”
“That’s all it takes sometimes,” D’adri replies, leaning forward pouring from a stylized metallic decanter into Two small ceramic cups of Vin Chaud, mulled wine with cardamom and cloves. Handing one to Diarmid.
“Thanks...” she says, sipping the spiced wine. Closing her eyes, she inhales the fragrance. “...I love the scent of cloves, that spicy sweetness…” She has another sip, placing the cup onto a small coaster on the table in front of her. She sits back into her chair. “...I mean, how the fuck did this idiot figure it out.”
“Some, depending on their personalities, are hard to convince. You must have seen something in her that gave it away...” D’adri asks, also sipping the wine. “...In this new recipe my dear Aria, I added some black pepper and saffron. To help with the visions later...” He also places his cup onto a separate coaster. “...So, what were her expressions like?”
“Blank, like she was trying to read faces. In a nervy manner, she would stare and then look away. I think she’s bipolar.”
“Rumination with dashes of paranoia, can create a glitch. Even if they don’t release it…” D’adri with his right index finger points to the side of his head. “...A scrambled brain, potluck and a self fulling prophecy.”
“A fucking coke head or amphetamines, either way. Just my luck hey?” Diarmid replies, sipping the wine.
“It is the nature of the beast Aria, you must let it go. Was there a parting shot?”
Diarmid nods. “Yeah, I sent off a complaint to the Management. I wanna squeeze her into oblivion. It was good letter. I envisioned that it would send her crazy. And she jumps down an empty elevator shaft.”
“After the incident with her, I suspect that she did collapse into a heap. With your directed anger at her, it would have been sufficient. Although, she may not have killed herself. As I said Aria, let it go,” D’adri says, looking into Diarmid’s hazel eyes, as she shuts then, inhaling slowly, then exhaling through her nose. Her eyes remains closed, as she slows down her breathing. She opens her eyes.
“I’m good…” She has another sip of the mulled wine. “...Moving on.”
“Are you going out tonight?” D’adri asks, as Diarmid looks around his large studio apartment, filled with various pieces of art, books, with an alter at the far end of the room, near a collection of pillows and a foldout bed.
“I am, just wanna be calm. I don’t care…” She exhales again, trying to settle her thoughts. Turning away, she looks at D’adri’s alter, sensing a fragrance in the air of incense. She returns her gaze to the man in front of her. “...What are you doing tonight?”

___


Reading:  "Rituals of the Antithetical" from RITUALS of the ANTITHETICAL (A.Glass 2023)


Comments